03 December, 2013

Invictus

 
INVICTUS (2009)
Starring Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon

I've been watching some movies I stored up in my externals, and I came across this film which I never thought that I'd like it. You see, I have this habit where I'll google a bit for film plots before watching the film itself. I just don't feel like wasting time on watching something I don't like. 

The film is about an inspiring true story of how Nelson Mandela, President of South Africa united the country with the help of Francois Pienaar, caption of Springboks, the national rugby team. Being the first black president, Mandela faced challenges where racial division between the white and black South Africans exists. Mandela believed that Springboks' victory in the World Cup can unite the country.

I do not have the ability and confidence to write a good synopsis for the film, so I found a link to share. Click here (Full Synopsis) if you are interested in the full synopsis. By the way it contains spoilers. =P

I would like to share a few parts of the film which I like best. =)

FIRSTLY, the short Victorian poem which inspired Mandela in the prison -- "Invictus".
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
My favourite lines are the last two. We are responsible for our own life. We take the responsibility for everything we have done, resulting in everything we face. We work hard and strive to reach our ultimate target, not giving up to hardships on the way. 

SECONDLY, the scenes where the citizens, both white and black South Africans, cheered for Springboks. Initially, the blacks cheer against the team as the mostly-white Springboks represents apartheid. 

It teared me up when I saw the citizens supporting the team throughout the final match. Springboks was having a hard time but Francois motivated them. The South Africans cheered for them, showing great support. Their cheers and sighs, I felt them. I felt like I was being pulled into that scenario, feeling the tension of the atmosphere. When Springboks won, it was so touching to see the citizens celebrate in unity.

THIRDLY, this film has awesome soundtracks! Below is the playlist I found on YouTube:


INVICTUS OST (Playlist)


I find this film very inspiring, as in not giving up in life. I am also happy to see that there are leaders out there who are really trying their best in uniting the country. I have friends from different races and religions, and we respect each other, enjoying life together though they are not my very very close friends. I appreciate the chances where I get to learn more from them, and we enjoy the learning process together. I know racial discrimination still exists in our country. Sometimes I just wish that I can see exact effort that bears fruit.

Seeing my students getting along with each other happily regardless of their skin colour and beliefs, the same question pops out every now and then:

Why can't we, the adults be like them?

To end this post, these two are my favourites from the playlist. =3


"COLORBLIND" by Overtone

"WORLD IN UNION '95" by Overtone with Yollandi Nortjie

No comments:

Post a Comment